We were given a week in order to create a story based animation under 30 seconds long, I decided that I would make an animated version of a scene from a film (Scarface) My process was to watch the scene I intended to recreate and I would draw the scene in frames and put them together with the original audio from the film.
These are a few of the shots I was going to use but then I changed scenes and opted to use these as a basis for the style I was going to use for the animation.
This is the original animation that I submitted, I need to set the scene and establish the characters to make it flow better as a story though. I will probably do this by adding text at the beginning to set the scene and credits at the end.
Today we were tasked with the creation of a digital book with In Design, with the topic, images, and text all provided to us by professional web designer Dave Taylor. We were given a week to create the book after a chat and short morning workshop with Dave explaining different styles of publication and getting us to experiment at creating our own book spreads using newspaper cut-outs.
Before creating my digital book I heard something wrong about the creation of the book and was under the impression I had to make each page completely individual and made a book that didn’t look as good as it possibly could have due to inconsistencies across the pages, although individually I felt that I was quite happy with a lot of the pages and fell that I have gained an understanding of how I would create a digibook in the future.
Here is a link to my digital book based of a Film 4 Film festival.
For this project seen as we are working with components given to us beforehand I wanted to incorporate some originality into the book by creating my own graphic using the text I was allowed to use.
I wanted to implement and emphasise the fact that this book was a film four based project and tried to keep the colour theme and add a “4” into the composition somewhere, this could possible worked better if re arranged or introduced at a lower opacity.
I also wanted to explore different types of alignments to see what worked best in a composition seen as this is my first experience with editorial design, I feel like this page could be a quite successful page in terms of hierarchy and layout.
Today we were analysing Marcel duchamp’s readymades, something which I feel for the value that they sell for required zero effort and are a pretentious way to extort art consumers, because he hasn’t done anything other than sign his name on a urinal, yes it may be displayed as a concept and a statement against fine art but isn’t something I believe should be taken seriously and something that people base their careers off.
We discussed our opinions on conceptual ism in modern society and it’s something I don’t think deserves a place due to it’s lack of overall input into the pieces, and the fact that their concepts are often not even visual representations, we discussed the idea that Duchamp shouldn’t be able to claim the urinal as art because he didn’t even make it, he just bought it at a shop and signed it, and whoever made it didn’t intend it to be viewed as a work of Art.
Today we were tasked to analyse and create some grid systems and compositions for possible page layouts we could put to further use in our digital book brief.
First we read through magazines provided and recreated the magazines as grid systems and designated which ones had which grid systems with varying compositions.
We then proceeded to create a more accurate representation in groups where we highlighted the page itself, images, text, borders, and the columns in the grid system accurately by making precise measurements then representing the whole thing in tape on the wall.
I believe that this will put me in good stead for learning layouts for my up and coming editorial projects.
Upon receiving my type specimen feedback, I acknowledged that there are still quite a few aspects of this piece I would like to improve on, I personally wasn’t too happy with my final outcome of this piece and would like to make the piece flow a lot better, establish a better general hierarchy across the board and implement a bit more negative space to make it feel like a less crowded composition.
Here are some of the Changes I have made to my original document, changes that I feel complement the piece and make it feel more balanced, and reading through it myself I feel that I navigate it much smoother than the previous piece.
Today we were tasked with creating our very own type specimens for a font we were assigned, I was given the font ‘Minion Pro’ a font used very widely among University logos, high profile publications and in a wide range of different books.
I took influence from these Type specimens on other fonts to try and grasp an idea of the variation, components and ideas that I could apply to make a good type specimen.
I reviewed and made sure that I implemented these components into my specimen; Name of Typeface, Full Alphabet (Upper case / Lower case / Numbers /
Ligatures / Glyphs), Three paragraphs of text, Example of type
used in context, Expressive
visualization of typeface,
Your name, Layout & Composition
Use of White / Negative Space,
Scale, Composition, Alignment
Hierarchy, Evidence of Grid System/ Columns/ Margins, Contrast.
After I decided on what I needed to do I set out to experiment with what I had seemed effective from my research, I liked the Idea of using Large letters as a focal point of my piece whilst also overlaying some semi opaque aspects to my poster, I experimented in my sketchbook and took the aspects I thought went well and combined them all together to create my Specimen. This is what I produced.
In hindsight I do feel that I may have overcrowded my poster a little and should have opted to make use of some negative space in this poster.